Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Recipe
Kick the classic grilled cheese & tomato soup up a notch.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ medium onion (diced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 8 slices Sara Lee® Old Fashioned White Bread
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 deli slices American cheese
- ½ cup grated Cheddar, divided
- In a pot over medium heat, add the canola oil. Stir in the onions and celery, and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook covered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Heat a large grill pan over high heat. Butter one side of each slice of old fashioned white bread. Lay half of the bread, butter side down, in the pan. Put a slice of American cheese on each piece of bread then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the Cheddar on top of each piece. Add another slice of American cheese on top of the Cheddar and finally, cover with the remaining bread slices, butter side up. Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes a side. Cut into triangles for easy tomato soup dipping!