Zesty Grilled Cheese Recipe
For those who like to turn up the heat, this full-flavored grilled cheese hits the spot.
- 1-10 Minutes
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10-12 red onion slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced or grated
- 2 ounces spicy pickle slices
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons aioli (recipe follows)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Make the aioli. Add garlic to a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the egg and process until well mixed. With the motor running, slowly pour in half of the olive oil. Stop the machine and add the lemon juice. Then, with the motor running, slowly pour in the rest of the olive oil and process until the mixture is thickened and the oil is emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer aioli to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the onions until the tips begin to blacken and the edges char. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
3. Return skillet to stovetop and reduce heat to medium-low. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread and place 1 slice, butter side down, in the skillet. Spoon desired amount of aioli over the top of the slice in the skillet, followed by half of the Fontina cheese. Top with charred onions, pickles and remaining cheese. Drizzle with more aioli, sprinkle with pepper flakes and top with remaining bread slice, butter side up.
4. Cook, flipping intermittently, until bread is golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.