Baseball Sandwiches Recipe
Always a hit with the home team, these sandwiches make every ball game a winner.
- 21-30 Minutes
- 6 slices Sara Lee® Soft & Smooth® Made with Whole Grain White Bread
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- 1-2 apples, sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 teaspoons strawberry jelly
- Paring knife
- 4-inch circle cookie cutter
- Sandwich-sized ziploc baggy
1. Cut all 6 bread slices with circle cookie cutter. Set aside.
2. Pare an apple taking care to trim close to the peel in long even strips (retain peel and apple). Place peeled apple into zip-closure baggy, remove air and seal to keep fresh. Slice the apple peeling into thin long 1/16” wide strips. Using paring knife on back side of peel, gently angle knife and slice away any remaining apple that remained on peel. Trim strips for a total of 6 strips at 1/16 inch wide x 4 ½ inch length and 30 strips at 1/16 inch wide x ⅝ inch in length). To form seam on ball, bow one long strip arching toward outer edges on left, repeat for right bowing toward outer edge on right and gently press down. To create cross stitching, take a short peel strip and pushing into bread on immediate left side of arch with toothpick. Then bow the other end of short strip over the seam and tuck into bread with toothpick on immediate right of seam. Repeat, 5 stitches per seam.
3. For sandwich filling, spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto bread base. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of peanut butter. Drizzle a teaspoon of strawberry jelly across. Thinly slice the apple and arrange 5 slices on top of the strawberries.
4. Top with baseball sandwich top. Repeat for additional sandwiches. Home run!