Croque Madame Recipe
The quintessential French breakfast sandwich requires the quintessential French-inspired bread – Sara Lee Artesano Brioche!
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Brioche Bakery Bread
- 1¼ cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 slices ham, divided
- 2 eggs, cooked sunny-side-up
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- Bechamel Sauce (recipe follows)
- Combine both cheeses in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Make Bechamel Sauce. In a small saucepan, heat milk over low heat. In a separate saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter begins to foam, add the flour, and whisk until thick. Continue stirring and slowly add the warm milk, whisking until combined. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- On 1 side of each slice of bread, spread 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Place slices butter-side-down on a cutting board. Spread ½ tablespoon of Dijon mustard on each slice of bread. Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese on 2 slices, and top with ham, another ¼ cup cheese, and remaining slices of bread, mustard side down.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Place sandwiches in the skillet, and cook until bread is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- Turn on oven broiler, on high. Transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet. Spread with the Bechamel Sauce on the tops of the sandwiches, and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Place in the oven for about 3-5 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown (watch carefully, as they will cook very quickly)
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven, and top each with a sunny-side-up egg and a sprinkle of chives.