Schoolbook Sandwiches Recipe
Send the kids back to school with lunchtime smiles.
- 1-10 Minutes
- 3 slices Sara Lee® White Made with Whole Grain Bread
- 3 slices Cheddar cheese, halved
- 6 slices deli turkey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Red, green and blue icing gel
- 1 edible pencil (recipe follows)
- 1 stick Cheddar cheese
- ½ red grape
- 1 slice red apple
Edible Pencil Ingredients:
1. Using a rolling pin or large glass, roll the bread flat and trim the crusts from the bread. Set bread aside.
2. To make the pages for your book, lay half a slice of cheese on a cutting board. Top with 2 slices of turkey and second half slice of cheese. Trim edges to make even. Repeat with remaining cheese slices and turkey.
3. Smear a thin layer of mayonnaise on each flattened bread slice. Place cheese and turkey book pages on each bread slice, close to one edge, and close the book by folding the bread over to cover the cheese and turkey pages. Trim edges again, if needed. Use icing to write school subjects on each bread book cover.
4. For the pencil, take the cheese and place the grape at one end to form an eraser. Trim the apple slice into a triangle and place at the top of the pencil as the tip.