Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Burger by Katie Lee
Two comfort food classics come together on Sara Lee Artesano Bread in this gooey-good recipe from Chef Katie Lee.
- 11-20 Minutes
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bakery Bread
- ½ pound 85-percent lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup freshly grated Gruyère cheese
1. To make the burgers, combine the beef, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix until combined and then form into 2 thin patties.
2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 10 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water and reduce heat to low. Let cook until browned and caramelized (approximately 10 minutes).
3. Spread the butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Heat a large, heavy-duty skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers to desired doneness, approximately 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
4. In the same skillet, reduce heat to medium, and place 2 slices of bread, butter-side down. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, half of the Gruyère, onions and 1 burger patty. Top with the remaining cheese, 1 slice of bread, butter-side up. Cook the sandwiches until golden brown (approximately 2 minutes per side).