Caramelized Onion & Bacon Grilled Cheese Recipe
This childhood classic gets a major flavor upgrade.
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1. Cut bacon into ½-inch strips and fry in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked-through. Remove bacon and place on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease.
- 2. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Continue cooking until caramelized a deep golden brown (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and place on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease.
- 3. Remove excess grease from skillet and place on stove over medium-low heat. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread and sprinkle with chili powder. Place 1 slice, butter side down, in skillet. Layer with 1 slice of Cheddar cheese, grilled onions and bacon. Top with second slice of Cheddar cheese and second slice of bread, butter side up.
- 4. Cook sandwich until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melty inside.