Caramelized Onion & Bacon Grilled Cheese Recipe
This childhood classic gets a major flavor upgrade.
- 21-30 Minutes
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 1 slice bacon
- ⅓ cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
1. Cut bacon into ½-inch strips and fry in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked-through. Remove bacon and place on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease.
2. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Continue cooking until caramelized a deep golden brown (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and place on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess grease.
3. Remove excess grease from skillet and place on stove over medium-low heat. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread and sprinkle with chili powder. Place 1 slice, butter side down, in skillet. Layer with 1 slice of Cheddar cheese, grilled onions and bacon. Top with second slice of Cheddar cheese and second slice of bread, butter side up.
4. Cook sandwich until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melty inside.