Aloha Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Recipe
Serving up a delicious combination of sweet and savory, this luau-worthy sandwich is a real crowd pleaser.
- 30+ Minutes
- 12 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 4 pounds Boston butt pork roast
- 1½ tablespoons sea salt
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 pounds Havarti cheese, sliced and divided
- 6 slices pineapple, grilled
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- Hawaiian barbecue sauce (recipe follows)
Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce Ingredients:
- ¾ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 peeled garlic cloves (optional)
1. Make pulled pork. Combine pork roast, sea salt, garlic and ½ pound Havarti cheese in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 1 hour, then 8 hours on low. Shred with two forks and keep warm in slow cooker.
2. Make Hawaiian barbecue sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine pineapple juice, vegetable oil, molasses, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to keep warm.
3. Build sandwiches. Lay bread on cutting board and spread butter on 1 side of each slice. Flip 6 slices over so butter side is down and layer each with 1 slice of Havarti cheese, 1 scoop pulled pork, a drizzle of Hawaiian barbecue sauce, 1 grilled pineapple slice and a second slice of Havarti cheese. Cap each sandwich with remaining bread slices, butter side up.
4. Working in batches, cook sandwiches in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Place butter side down in skillet and cook, flipping intermittently, until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown on both sides. Repeat process with remaining sandwiches.