French Onion Soup Recipe
Looking for the perfect winter meal? You found it! Grab a spoon and enjoy this French Onion Soup made with Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Bread.
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Bread
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 pound yellow onions, cut lengthwise and sliced
- ½ tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic. Spread into even layer and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally for about an hour, until soft and a deep caramel brown color. Add thyme, bay leaf, wine, salt and pepper. Stir to distribute the spices and cook on low for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes. Strain and pour an equal amount into 4 bowls.
- 2. Toast the bread. In a small bowl, mix together minced garlic and olive oil, then brush onto each slice of bread. Place Mozzarella on top and broil until cheese has melted and is golden brown. Cut each slice in half and serve with soup.