Katie Lee’s Must-Have Mushroom Avocado Melt
There’s so much flavor in this towering grilled veggie burger creation, you won’t miss the meat.
- 4 Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Buns
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
- 4 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and brushed with olive oil
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Red Pepper Aioli (recipe follows)
- 1. In a dish, combine Italian dressing, lemon, and Worcestershire sauce. Add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (or overnight, if desired).
- 2. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Grill mushrooms 10 minutes on each side, then top with cheese, and let melt. Grill onions simultaneously 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until tender. Place buns on the grill to toast lightly as well.
- 3. Make the Red Pepper Aioli. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and fold together.
- 4. To build the sandwich, spread the top half of each bun with aioli. On each bottom half, place a mushroom, some red onions, avocado slices, a bit of lettuce, sliced tomato, and the top half.