Mushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese Recipe
Caramelized onions and mushrooms add grown-up depth of flavor to grilled cheese.
- 1-10 Minutes
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices Mozzarella cheese
1. Add oil and onion to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until caramelized (approximately 3-4 minutes). Transfer onions to a small bowl and set aside.
2. Using same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until soft (approximately 5 minutes). Transfer to a small bowl.
3. Using same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Top 2 slices of bread with 1 slice cheese, caramelized onions, mushrooms and remaining cheese slices. Butter 1 side of remaining bread slices and place, butter side up, atop sandwiches.
4. Place sandwiches in skillet, butter side up. Cover skillet with a lid and cook for 2 minutes. Remove lid, flip sandwiches and cook until bottom bread slice is golden brown (approximately 2 minutes).