French Onion Grilled Cheese Recipe
Introducing the love child of the classic bistro soup and the beloved diner sammie.
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt ½ tablespoon butter with oil. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown in color (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- 2. Butter both bread slices and place butter side down in a hot skillet or griddle. Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. As the cheese begins to melt, place the caramelized onions on one slice and place the remaining slice on top.
- 3. Once the cheese is melted, remove from pan and enjoy.