Meatball Grilled Cheese Casserole Recipe
Bake up grilled cheese sammies in tomato soup!
- 8 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 thick slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 large meatballs, sliced
- 4 slices Chihuahua cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. To make the sandwiches, butter 1 side of each bread slice with ½ tablespoon soft butter. Place 4 slices, butter side down, on cutting board. Layer each with 2 slices Cheddar cheese, several meatball slices and 1 slice Chihuahua cheese. Top each with remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the sandwich on the hot griddle and cook until both sides are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set the sandwiches aside. (Cook in batches if space is tight).
- 4. In medium saucepan over medium heat, mix soup, milk, egg and garlic together.
- 5. Pour the tomato mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Arrange the sandwiches on top of the soup layer. Top with shredded Mozzarella and basil. Bake until the tomato mixture is bubbly and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.