Mini Apple Pockets
Who needs pie dough when you have Sara Lee Honey Wheat Bread?
- 30+ Minutes
- 1 loaf Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 apples, cored and chopped
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, whisking until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Add sugar and remaining water, and stir well. Fold apples into mixture until evenly coated. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are slightly softened (approximately 4-6 minutes).
3. Drizzle in the cornstarch mixture while continuing to stir the apples. Cook until apples are soft and liquid has thickened. Remove from heat and let apples cool completely.
4. Cut crusts off bread and roll each slice flat with a rolling pin. Spoon a small amount of cooled filling onto each flattened bread slice. Fold bread diagonally to form a triangle, and pinch edges together with a fork. Cut a small slit on top of each pocket to vent steam.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange pockets on top.
6. Melt remaining butter. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the pockets with butter. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top.
7. Bake until bread is a nice golden brown (approximately 10-15 minutes). Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (if desired) and enjoy!