Mini Apple Pockets
Who needs pie dough when you have Sara Lee Honey Wheat Bread?
- 1 loaf Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 apples, cored and chopped
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, whisking until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg. Add sugar and remaining water, and stir well. Fold apples into mixture until evenly coated. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are slightly softened (approximately 4-6 minutes).
- 3. Drizzle in the cornstarch mixture while continuing to stir the apples. Cook until apples are soft and liquid has thickened. Remove from heat and let apples cool completely.
- 4. Cut crusts off bread and roll each slice flat with a rolling pin. Spoon a small amount of cooled filling onto each flattened bread slice. Fold bread diagonally to form a triangle, and pinch edges together with a fork. Cut a small slit on top of each pocket to vent steam.
- 5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange pockets on top.
- 6. Melt remaining butter. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the pockets with butter. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top.
- 7. Bake until bread is a nice golden brown (approximately 10-15 minutes). Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (if desired) and enjoy!