Pumpkin Mac Grilled Cheese Recipe
Add this to your new list of favorite fall comfort foods.
- 30+ Minutes
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread
- 3 slices Gouda
- 3 slices crispy bacon
- 2 pats salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup Pumpkin Mac & Cheese (recipe follows)
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese:
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups half & half
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Smoked Gruyère
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan and add diced shallots, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant and softened. Add sage leaves and cook for another two minutes. Add flour and whisk for another 2 minutes until a roux forms. Once the flour cooks out, add half n half and whisk. Season to taste and then let the mixture cook and reduce for 5-10 minutes. Whisk in Cheddar, Smoked Gruyère and the pumpkin puree. Add honey and once again, season to taste.
3. Add pasta, stir until evenly combined, then remove from heat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up.
4. Place 1.5 slices of Gouda onto 1 slice of bread. Add the chilled Mac n cheese and place the bacon on top. Next, add the remaining 1.5 slices of Gouda and the other piece of bread. Evenly smear the salted butter onto both exteriors of the sandwich and set aside.
5. Grill the sandwich in a cast iron skillet until the bread is golden brown and the Gouda has melted and the Mac n cheese is warm throughout (approximately 5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and let sit for 1 minute before slicing in half.