Red Reuben Melt Recipe
Red cabbage sauerkraut brings a fresh twist to a classic Reuben.
- 4 slices Sara Lee® White Made with Whole Grain Bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Red Cabbage Sauerkraut (recipe follows)
- Red Cabbage Sauerkraut Ingredients:
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon brown mustard
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Russian dressing
- 1. Make red cabbage sauerkraut. Whisk vinegar, mustard, water, olive oil, sugar and salt together in a small sauce pan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add cabbage and cook for 18 minutes. Strain, pat dry and mix with Russian dressing. Set aside.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on 1 side of each toast slice and place 2 slices in hot skillet, butter side down.
- 3. Layer each bread slice with 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 ounces corned beef, scallions and red cabbage sauerkraut. Top each with a second slice of Swiss cheese and remaining toast slice, butter side up.
- 4. Cook until golden brown on bottom and flip. Rueben is ready when both sides are golden brown and cheese has melted. Serve hot.