Red Reuben Melt Recipe
Red cabbage sauerkraut brings a fresh twist to a classic Reuben.
- 30+ Minutes
- 4 slices Sara Lee® White Made with Whole Grain Bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Red Cabbage Sauerkraut (recipe follows)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon brown mustard
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Russian dressing
Red Cabbage Sauerkraut Ingredients:
1. Make red cabbage sauerkraut. Whisk vinegar, mustard, water, olive oil, sugar and salt together in a small sauce pan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add cabbage and cook for 18 minutes. Strain, pat dry and mix with Russian dressing. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on 1 side of each toast slice and place 2 slices in hot skillet, butter side down.
3. Layer each bread slice with 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 ounces corned beef, scallions and red cabbage sauerkraut. Top each with a second slice of Swiss cheese and remaining toast slice, butter side up.
4. Cook until golden brown on bottom and flip. Rueben is ready when both sides are golden brown and cheese has melted. Serve hot.