Strawberry Cream Doughnuts Recipe
This sweet little hack transforms bread into “doughnuts” without the deep fryer.
- 12 slices Sara Lee® Butter Bread
- 1 (8-ounce) package plain cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup strawberries, minced
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup canola oil
- Powdered sugar
- 1. In a mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, strawberries and jam until smooth. Place 6 slices of bread on the cutting board. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the center of each slice. Cover each with remaining 6 bread slices.
- 2. Using a circle cookie cutter or lid, cut a circle from each “sandwich,” being careful to not lose any of the filling. Use your fingers to pinch all the way around the edge of each bread circle so none of the filling escapes during cooking.
- 3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, arrange bread “doughnuts” in skillet. (Don’t crowd the skillet – you may need to cook in batches.) Cook until golden brown (about 3 minutes) then flip and cook another 3 minutes.
- 4. Transfer cooked “doughnuts” to paper towel-lined plate and repeat process with remaining “doughnuts.” Sprinkle finished “doughnuts” with powdered sugar and serve.