Apple Pie Foil Packs Recipe
An inventive summer take on a timeless classic dessert!
- 30+ Minutes
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Bread
- 2 (15 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon + more to serve
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Oat Crumble (recipe follows)
Oat Crumble Ingredients:
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
1. Make Oat Crumble. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a medium bowl and mash with a fork to combine. Fold in the pecans, set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Brush one side of each slice of bread with half of the softened butter. Place on a baking sheet, butter side up, and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon and sugar. Flip slices over, spread with the remaining butter on them, sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar on them, and bake in oven for 5 minutes for each side. Allow the bread to cool, then cut each slice in half diagonally.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 450˚F. Prepare the foil packs. Tear off 8 1-foot long pieces of the aluminum foil. Lay 4 pieces on a work surface. Place 1 half bread slice in the center of each foil sheet. Curl the edges of foil sheet upward to create a “boat” around the bread. Top each bread slice with a scoop of apple pie filling, followed by the Oat Crumble. Top each with the remaining half bread slices. Cover with the remaining foil sheets, crimping together the top and bottom edges to seal.
4. Place the foil packets on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes*.
5. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving, in foil pouches, topped with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
* Alternatively, can cook the foil packets on a grill over high heat for 8-12 minutes.