Bananas Foster Breakfast Kabobs Recipe
They may not be served on fire, but these French toast kabobs are definitely hot!
- 1 loaf Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread
- 8 ounces dulce de leche
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- 4 bananas
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1. Combine 1 tablespoon dulce de leche with softened cream cheese. Stir together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- 2. Trim crusts from bread and save for another use. Make 10 sandwiches with bread by spreading 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture onto half the bread slices. Top with remaining slices and use a serrated knife to cut each sandwich into 4 equal pieces. Set aside. Slice bananas into wheels the same thickness as the sandwich squares. Set aside.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and rum extract (if using). Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- 4. Once skillet is hot, begin cooking French toast in batches. Dip 8 small sandwich squares, one at a time, in egg mixture to coat evenly on both sides. Shake off excess, and arrange in skillet. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook, flipping intermittently, until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate or cutting board while you soak and cook remaining sandwich squares.
- 5. Build kabobs by threading alternating slices of banana with French toast onto bamboo skewers. Warm remaining dulce de leche in a microwave safe container and serve with skewers.