Bananas Foster Breakfast Kabobs Recipe
They may not be served on fire, but these French toast kabobs are definitely hot!
- 21-30 Minutes
- 1 loaf Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread
- 8 ounces dulce de leche
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- 4 bananas
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- Bamboo skewers
1. Combine 1 tablespoon dulce de leche with softened cream cheese. Stir together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
2. Trim crusts from bread and save for another use. Make 10 sandwiches with bread by spreading 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture onto half the bread slices. Top with remaining slices and use a serrated knife to cut each sandwich into 4 equal pieces. Set aside. Slice bananas into wheels the same thickness as the sandwich squares. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and rum extract (if using). Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
4. Once skillet is hot, begin cooking French toast in batches. Dip 8 small sandwich squares, one at a time, in egg mixture to coat evenly on both sides. Shake off excess, and arrange in skillet. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook, flipping intermittently, until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate or cutting board while you soak and cook remaining sandwich squares.
5. Build kabobs by threading alternating slices of banana with French toast onto bamboo skewers. Warm remaining dulce de leche in a microwave safe container and serve with skewers.