Ham & Cheese Brioche Casserole
This casserole made with Sara Lee Artesano Brioche Bread is so good, you’ll want to eat it for every meal!
- 30+ Minutes
- 6 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Brioche Bakery Bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 small shallots, minced
- 1 cup broccoli, diced
- 10 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more for top
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1¼ cups grated Gruyère, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F, and lightly oil a 10x10-inch baking dish.
2. Transfer cubed bread to a large mixing bowl.
3. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and broccoli and sauté, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the salt, milk, cream, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Pour the egg mixture over bread. Add the ham, thyme and ¾ cup of Gruyère, and mix well. Allow the mixture to sit for about 5-10 minutes so the bread soaks in the custard.
6. Carefully pour mixture into prepared pan. The custard should come up to the top of the pan. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of Gruyère on top, and sprinkle with more black pepper.
7. Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour. The casserole is done when the custard is set and no longer runny in the middle. Test it by inserting a butter knife in the center to check the texture. If the top of the casserole gets too dark before the custard is set, cover with a piece of foil and continue baking.
8. Sprinkle thyme over the top of the casserole before slicing. Serve warm.