Pumpkin Chili with Pumpkin Spice Croutons Recipe
Embrace all the fall feels with this warming soup and spiced Sara Lee Honey Wheat Bread croutons.
- 3 cups Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- In a large skillet, melt butter. In a bowl toss bread cubes with 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to coat. Add spiced bread to skillet and cook for 8 minutes or until toasted, turning occasionally. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve chili.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent. Add the turkey and sauté until browned. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add pumpkin purée, kidney beans, tomato paste, chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika, pepper, salt, cumin and remaining ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice to slow cooker and stir until combined.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve chili topped with croutons, pumpkin seeds and other favorite toppings.