Spicy Monte Cristo Recipe
Sweet meets spicy for our remarkable take on a Monte Cristo.
- 3 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Brioche Bakery Bread
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided & softened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup jalapeño strawberry jam
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Butter 1 side of 2 bread slices, and both sides of the third bread slice (use roughly ½ tablespoon butter per side). Spread Dijon mustard on the unbuttered side of 1 bread slice, and 1 teaspoon of jalapeño strawberry jam on the unbuttered side of the second bread slice.
- Layer 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of the Dijon, followed by the ham, the fully buttered bread slice, turkey, 1 slice of Swiss and the remaining slice of bread, jelly side down. Loosely wrap the sandwich with plastic wrap and press down slightly
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg, milk, salt and nutmeg. Dip sandwich in the egg mixture and turn to completely coat.
- Melt together vegetable oil and remaining butter in a skillet. Place sandwich on skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar.