Spicy Saucy Cheeseburger Recipe
Soft and fluffy Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Buns were made for holding all your fave burger toppings.
- 1 package Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bakery Buns
- 6 burger patties, cooked
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- Peel the onions and slice very thinly. Separate the onion slices and place them in a shallow baking dish. Pour the buttermilk over the top, and soak for about an hour.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Pour 1 to 2 quarts canola oil in a pot and heat to 375˚F.
- Remove a handful of onions from the buttermilk and immediately dunk in the flour mixture. Coat the onions in the flour mixture, and tap them on the inside of the bowl to shake off the excess.
- Working in batches, plunge the onions in hot oil and break apart with a spoon if necessary. Cook until golden (approximately 1-2 minutes), remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining onions.
- Spread some BBQ sauce on the bottom bun, top with burger patty, cheese, more BBQ sauce and onion strings, finishing with the top half of the bun.