Double Chocolate Cherry French Toast Recipe
Indulge in weekend brunching at its best.
- 8 slices Sara Lee® Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- ¼ cup hazelnut spread
- 5 medium egg whites
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Cherry Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
- Chocolate Cherry Sauce Directions:
- 1. Combine cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes.
- 2. Add chocolate syrup and stir until hot. Remove from heat and cover with a lid while you make the French toast.
- French Toast Directions:
- 1. Spread 1 tablespoon of hazelnut spread on 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining 4 bread slices.
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3. In large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with whipping cream. Dip hazelnut sandwiches in mixture to coat both sides. Gently shake off excess coating into bowl then place coated sandwiches in hot skillet with melted butter.
- 4. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat.
- 5. Slice sandwiches in half and dust with powdered sugar. Drizzle with chocolate cherry sauce and sprinkle dark chocolate chips and sliced almonds on top.